Skip To Main Content

Student Work Permit

Moline High School provides students with the service of issuing work permits to high school students who meet the Illinois Department of Labor guidelines. For work permit requests outside the district or for students younger than high school aged, please reference the guidelines and procedures issued by the State on the Department of Labor Website linked here.

What is a Work Permit?

The Illinois Department of Labor oversees the safety of minors in Illinois by regulating the employment of workers under 16 years of age. The law protects children by limiting working hours, prohibiting work in hazardous occupations, and requiring employment certificates (820 ILCS 205/1-22 Child Labor Law).

Who needs a Work Permit?

Anyone working who is under the age of 16 must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. If a student is 16 or older, no permit is required to get a job, but you still have some restrictions on the type of employment you can have.

If a student does not attend MHS, a work permit may be issued through the Illinois Department of Labor, but MHS will not process permits for those who do not attend Moline High School.

What are the steps to obtain a Work Permit?

1. Seek employment & get hired.

2. Once hired, visit the Dean’s office and ask a dean to verify your attendance & discipline record and give you a form to bring to the MHS Registrar.

3. Take the form to the Registrar to verify the employer and receive the employer form.

4. Take the form to your new employer and have them complete the employment section, including the business name, address, phone number, and contact person. Your employer will need to sign this form.

5. BEFORE HAVING YOUR PARENT SIGN THE FORM. Bring the completed form to the MHS Registrar’s office. Your parent/guardian must sign the form in the presence of the Registrar as a witness.

6. After a couple of days, the Registrar will have the work permit created and ready for you to pick up. You will get 2 copies, 1 for your records, and a copy for your new employer for their records.

7. As soon as your employer has your work permit on file, you are ready to begin your new job!