You will be required to research a minor American political party. You will be working with a partner, (or alone if you choose) and will present your speech to the class. Your first step will be to search for minor political parties. A great place to start is www.dcpoliticalreport.com.
Your 3-5 minute speech should include:
History of the party (How and why it originated…)
Leaders (Historical and current)
Election success (local, national, state.. when)
Platform or goals (what issues are their top priorities)
Why someone should join this party (convincingly persuade,
what makes this party unique; use this as your closing)
Bibliography of information
HINTS FOR AN “A” (grade as a test grade)
1. BE CREATIVE!
- Have a visual aid and a “hook”
- Dress the part
- Buttons, stickers, campaign posters are a nice touch
- Statistical data to back your argument
- Easy to understand slogans
2. BE PERSUASIVE!
- Propaganda can be very effective
- You can use imaginary opposition to make your point
- Play the part based on your parties ideals, be enthusiastic
3. INCLUDE THE CONTENT OF YOUR PARTY
- Do the research
4. UNDERSTAND AND APPLY THE ELEMENTS OF A GOOD SPEECH
- Have a hook at the beginning of your speech to grab the audience’s attention
- Speak clearly and loudly
- Engage your audience, and back up what you claim
- Make eye contact
- Make a personal connection to the audience
Be prepared to answer questions about your party.